Dentistry services include:
- Corrective floating on abnormal and deformed mouths with problems like parrot mouths, waves and sheared incisors
- Performance dentistry including bit seats
- A record detailing the dental evaluation including abnormalities and work performed, which allows us to track your horse’s progress on subsequent visits
Having your veterinarian perform your equine dental procedures offers you more comprehensive care. Dr. Lucas is able to perform other services while the animal is sedated. Other benefits include:
- Thorough oral examinations
- Ability to use a speculum to visualize and give access to the rear teeth
- Prescribing medications to treat oral infections
- Taking x-rays of the jaw when indicated
- Performing extractions
Why Use a Vet Equine Dentist?
An equine dentist is a licensed veterinarian with postdoctorate or advanced training in dentistry. Only licensed veterinarians are allowed to sedate horses.
Specialized power equipment is required to accomplish a thorough floating of the horse’s teeth. If the practitioner does not use power tools, you are doing a disservice to your horse.